Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I Might Be Psychic

Do you ever have a moment when you think to yourself "What would I do if _______?" and then the "blank" happens?

Well, that was me today.

I started out my run, and someone let her dog off of the leash, which is not uncommon in my neighborhood.  I thought to myself, "Good thing that dog didn't bite me.  Hm, what would I do if I got bit by a dog?"

About 3 miles later, bam.

No bueno.


Can't find any unhappy-looking pictures, so a random post-race picture will have to do.
Here is what I did:
  • Told the owners I was OK.  They asked and were very apologetic.
  • Stopped running and walked the rest of the way home.
  • Called my sister to freak out, haha.
  • Called my close friend who is a nurse to find out what to do (she said to wash it with soap and water and keep an eye on it for any redness).
  • Washed it with soap and water.
  • Sprayed some Neosporin on it.
Here is what I wish I had done:
  • Not panicked.
  • Got some information from the dog's owners.
Here is what I still don't know if I should do:
  • Go to the doctor?
  • Call whoever does the animal registries to figure out if the dog had all it's vaccinations.
It's only been a couple hours since this experience, so I'm probably still a little more shaken up than I need to be.  However, I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm a little hesitant to head back out on the trails.  Looking back, I really don't know how I could have avoided it, short of turning around or stopping and standing far away as soon as I saw a dog.  I certainly can't do that for every dog I see on the trails.

So, now I need some input.

Have you ever had this experience?
What SHOULD I have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment