Sunday, August 7, 2011

Ashley's Birthday- DIY Extravaganza!

At the beginning of the summer, Ashley's birthday was sneaking up on me.  Sick of getting the same old gifts for her birthday (something bride-related, a book, etc.), I decided to plan something for us to do together to celebrate her special day.  So, I came up with this!

I whipped up this sheet on Publisher and stuck it in her birthday card.  Hopefully Ashley was excited about it, because I was bouncing off the walls!

Ashley decided on these frame trays that she saw on my Pinterest.  So, on one of her days off from work, we ventured out on our super-fun DIY day.

First, we had to find frames that were the right size and shape for what each of us had in mind.  We ended up going with a couple we saw at Michael's.  We totally lucked out, because frames were half off, AND I used my teacher discount!  I think each frame was about $3.50-$5.

After choosing our frames, we picked out some scrapbook paper and ribbon for the inside.  For some reason, I had my mind set on putting a ribbon inside mine, and this really extended the process.

Finally, we headed to Target for handles, and then it was lunch time.  If you know me, you know this is a major priority.  :)

After lunch, it was time to get to work...and it proved to be a little trickier than we thought.


Ashley decided to glue her handles to the frame...only to discover the glue was burning away the finish on the frame.  In the process, she nearly glued her engagement ring to her hand.


Thinking I was avoiding problems, I decided to screw my handles into the frame. After measuring incorrectly (twice), I hit another roadblock--a broken drill bit.


Sorry Matt!


Not the types to be deterred by trouble, we laughed it up and kept plugging away.  In the end, we were happy with the results.


Before the day could be done, I made the birthday girl pose with her masterpiece.


Happy birthday, oh lovely sister of mine!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment