Saturday, October 22, 2011

Spaces: The Frosting on the...Windows

Before I start, I must admit that this may be one of the laziest projects I have ever not-completed.  Something that should have taken me an afternoon has taken me--literally--months.  And...I'm still not done.  Yikes!

What is this simple-but-not-in-Amy's-world project, you ask?  Frosting my mud/laundry room window.  This window is the only one in my house at ground level, and the fact that it is so exposed kind of creeps me out.  I didn't feel like it would look right with curtains, so I decided frosting it was the way to go.

I decided to do the same with the small window in my master bathroom, so I headed over to Lowe's (with a coupon, of course) and picked up a roll of window frosting film. 

(I must digress for a it weird that every time I type the word frosting, even if reference to a window, I can't stop thinking about the cookies calling my name from the kitchen?  I didn't think so.)

Anyway, I ended up having to pick up two rolls for the two windows, and it knocked me back about 50 bucks when all was said and done...yeesh!

When I got home, I took a break and spent some time on one of my favorite obsessions: Pinterest.  Lo and behold, I stumbled upon this link that described how to "frost" a window with contact paper.  Six dollars for a roll of contact paper as opposed to the 25 I spent on the fancy stuff?  Yes, please!

So, I printed 7th House on the Left's awesome stencil template and got to work tracing and cutting.

Not the most entertaining of jobs (hence the WEEKS it took me to complete this phase of the project...motivation was not easy to find), but I persevered...if you could call it that.

So, after lots of tracing and cutting (and some frustration, because for some reason they didn't line up evenly), I was left with a bunch of cut out shapes and was ready to rock on my window.

I cleaned it really well and started sticking.  The trickiest part was the edges, because a full shape wouldn't fit.  Luckily, I had the tool from the expensive stuff (which I still used on my bathroom window), which made it really easy. 

At first, I was nervous, but I stepped back and was loving it!  And this... as far as I got.  Despite the fact that I thought I had cut out plenty of pieces, the ones I had only covered half the window. started.  And, hence, my window has not changed in the two months since.  Oops!  Now that the wedding and NYC trip are over, though, I'm planning on finishing this one soon.  So, be sure to come back next time, when Amy finally gets some motivation and finishes the fairly easy project!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment