Sunday, August 14, 2011

Five Things I LOVE About Running

I am a runner.  If you had told me five (heck, even two) years ago that I would say that, I would call you crazy.  Always an admirer of runners, I decided to give it a shot last March.  Now, I'm addicted.

This morning, while I was out on my run, I was thinking about how I haven't blogged in a week.  I'm admittedly stalling on my current project, because the next thing on my list involves a dreaded can of paint, so I figured I'd blog about something else I love!  :)

So, here, in no particular order, are five things I love about running:

1. Running Buddies

My #1 running buddy and I cooling down after my first 5K.
(wasn't quite prepared for the Internet to see the disheveled mess I was, haha)


My former college roomie has always been a big runner, and I decided to start running with her after I had gotten a few months into my plan.  For awhile, we had a weekly running date, and it was the highlight of many of my weeks.  I always run better with a buddy!


2. Post-Run Smoothies

Yum!

I was never much of a smoothie drinker until my friend, Kristin, got me to try one of hers.  Sure enough, I went out and bought some protein powder and am having fun trying smoothies.  My current favorite is the Cereal and Berry Shake from Trainer Momma.  At first, it sounded a little weird, but I tried it, and I'm hooked!  I definitely spent a good chunk of my run this morning thinking about the smoothie I was going to make when I got home.  :)


3. Saying "Good morning" to people on the trails

I wish I had a picture of the adorable little girl riding her bike with her family this morning and her super enthusiastic wave after I said good morning.  That moment definitely kept me going for the next couple of minutes.


4. When my mom asks me how my run was and I get to gush about it
Me, my mom, and Ashley at a wedding...obviously not running related.

A lot of times on weekends, my mom will say "How far'd you go today?"  It's fun to share my excitement with someone else, especially on days when I had a good run.


5. Proving to myself that I can do something I never thought I could

Finishing my first 5K and beating my goal time by 21 seconds!

For me, running is incredibly rewarding, because I have proven to myself that I am stronger than I ever thought I was.  Just as this post started, two years ago, I would have never believed you if you had told me I would run a 5K (or three by now).  Running was just something that was too big of a challenge.  Now, I work to constantly compete with myself and prove to myself I can do new things.  In a weird way, running has gotten me through some of the most difficult things I have been through, because it has given me a new kind of confidence I never had before.  No wonder I'm hooked!

Well, now that I have spent my morning running and blogging about it, I should probably shower.

Any runners out there?  What do YOU love about running?

Have a great Sunday!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment