|At least she's a good sport on New Recipe Night!|
This is a list of 100 rather obscure foods, and we're going to see if we've tried them. I'll go ahead and admit from the start that I had to look up MANY of these!
1. Abalone: No thank you.
2. Absinthe: Nope
Amy: All I can think of it the movie Moulin Rouge, and it freaks me out that I'll see a little green fairy, haha.
3. Alligator: Nope...where do you even get that?
4. Baba Ghanoush: Nope...wow...not a very good record so far...
5. Bagel and Lox: Nope
Amy: I'm a sweet breakfast kind of girl.
Ashley: I'm pretty partial to plain bagels..boring I know
Amy: Yes! YUM!
Ashley: Nope not here.
7. Barbecue Ribs: Yes! I feel bad for anyone who has to say no to this one.
8. Bellini: Actually, no.
9. Bird’s Nest Soup: Nope. Had to look this one up. Was appalled.
Ashley: Haven't had it and i'm not brave enough to look it up... eesh
10. Biscuits and Gravy:
Amy: YES! LOVE this stuff. If only it wasn't so terrible for you! (And yes, I just realized that this completely contradicts my previous statement about being a sweet breakfast kind of girl.)
Ashley: I've had it and believe it or not, everyone thinks i'm weird that I do NOT like it... i'm not a fan of any breakfast meats (bacon, sausage...)
11. Black Pudding: No. Another clueless one.
12. Black Truffle: Nope. Isn't this stuff like wicked expensive?
13. Borscht: Another one that scares me for some reason.
Amy: Yep, but not a big fan. Weird texture.
Ashley: No Thanks! I don't even like the smell.
Amy: Probably, but I don't know for sure.
Ashley: Nope, I'm very aware of the type of food I'm eating.
Amy: I remember way back in 4th grade we got to try things like this because a parent brought it in. I also remember I had to call my mom to see if I was allergic to any of it, haha. I don't remember how it tasted at all though.
Ashley: Nope...better off giving it to someone else.
17. Cheese Fondue:
Amy: Yep. Made it myself. Rock star!
Ashley: Yep, thats one thing I do like!
18. Chicken and Waffles:
Amy: Nope. I'm such a carb-o-holic, that, if put in front of me, I would probably pick around the chicken to get to the waffles. Kind of like eating only the outside of the corn dog. It's logic.
Ashley: Chicken and Waffles??? Makes no sense to me. Chicken is one food that doesn't go with Breakfast like waffles.
19. Chicken Tikka Masala: Nope.
20. Chile Relleno: Another nope.
21. Chitlins: No, does not sound appealing. At. All.
Amy: Yes. They used to serve these at my school, and I would get hot lunch that day just for that reason. If it's amazing even in a school cafeteria, you know it's good stuff!
Ashley: Yep, fantastic!
23. Clam Chowder:
Amy: Kind of shocked that I'm just realizing this, but no.
Ashley: Whoa I've tried something that Amy has not! I wasn't a fan.
24. Cognac: Nope.
25. Crab Cakes:
Amy: Yes, and it was just OK. I'm not a big crab person.
Ashley: No thanks.
Amy: No, although they did have them at my school this week, and I considered giving it a shot. Considered is the operative word here.
Ashley: I don't think i'd even consider it.
27. Currywurst: Nope, not a curry fan.
28. Dandelion Wine: Nope.
29. Dulce De Leche:
Amy: Does it count in cake form?
30. Durian: Never heard of it.
31. Eel: Not brave enough for that one yet.
Ashley: Will never be brave enough!!
32. Eggs Benedict:
Amy: For an egg lover, I'm shocked that I have not.
Ashley: I'm definatly NOT an egg fan like my sister!
33. Fish Tacos:
Amy: Quite possibly my favorite kind of taco. Not fried though.
Ashley: I can't get brave enough to try them.
34. Foie Gras: Nope. Not sure I'm classy enough.
35. Fresh Spring Rolls: Nope.
36. Fried Catfish:
Amy: Yep, at an amazing soul food place in Nashville. It was, well, amazing.
Ashley: No thanks.. not a fish person either!
37. Fried Green Tomatoes: Nope.
38. Fried Plantain: Nope
Ashley: Not fried but I have tried a Plantain.
39. Frito Pie:
Amy: Yes, but not actually in the bag. Blah.
Ashley: Again nope
40. Frogs’ Legs:
Amy: Yes, at a cheap-o Chinese buffet in a college town. Really did taste like chicken.
Ashley: Frogs' Legs Amy really? No thank you here.
41. Fugu: Nope! Another one to add to the look-up list!
42. Funnel Cake: And another one to add to the list of things I would have to feel bad for you if you hadn't tried.
43. Gazpacho: Does it count when we used to stir up our melty sherbet so it was like soup? Haha... (We were awesome kids)
44. Goat: Nope.
45. Goat’s Milk: And nope.
46. Goulash: I don't think so.
Ashley: No thanks
Amy: Yes, but I don't remember anything about it, haha.
Ashley: Tried it, wasnt a fan because the kind I tried was very spicy.
48. Haggis: No thank you. Yuck.
49. Head Cheese: Again, no thank you.
50. Heirloom Tomatoes:
Amy: Yep, tomatoes are finally starting to grow on me.
Ashley: I have tried them, I like tomatoes.
Amy: I think I tried this on the same day I tried caviar.
Ashley: The only honeycomb I will eat is cereal = )
53. Hostess Fruit Pie:
Amy: Only remember ever being able to eat half. But these were generally off limits in the fridge, because they were for dad's lunch. :)
Ashley: AGREE with Amy!! I didn't like them though because I don't like pie.
54. Huevos Rancheros:
Amy: Another shocking no for my egg-lover self.
Ashley: sounds like heartburn waiting to happen.
55. Jerk Chicken:
Amy: Yep. Nothing special. Perhaps I haven't had the good stuff?
Ashley: Tried some of Matts before, not a fan.
56. Kangaroo: No, just had a vision of the one from Winnie the Pooh and it made me sad, haha.
57. Key Lime Pie:
Amy: Yes. Not a lime fan.
Ashley: Yeah it was too tart!
58. Kobe Beef:
Amy: I think so. Again, no big impact on me.
Ashley: Nope I havn't
Amy: Nope, I'm too cheap.
Ashley: All I can think of when I see lassi is the .25 cent goldfish that my mom called Lassi when we were kids....
Amy: Yep. Kind of feel the same way I feel about crab.
Ashley: Tried and I didn't like the smell or taste.
Amy: Nope. Not an orange juice fan.
Ashley: Yep I've tried them a few times. Pretty good but can't drink much because I'm not that big of an OJ fan either.
Amy: I think so?
Ashley: I think so too?
63. Morel Mushrooms:
Amy: Nope, not a big mushroom person.
Ashley: I can't even stand the thought of a mushroom.
64. Nettle Tea: Nope.
65. Octopus: Can't stand the way it looks.
Ashley: I cant even try it because its just a cute sea creature.
66. Oxtail Soup: No thank you.
Amy: No, but have thought about making it.
Ashley: What is it?
68. Paneer: No...I feel like I need to be more cultured!
69. Pastrami on Rye:
Amy: Actually, no.
Ashley: Yep I've tried! Not good.
70. Pavlova: Nope.
71. Phaal: No, another curry situation.
72. Philly Cheese Steak:
Amy: I suppose yes, but never a "real" one.
73. Pho: Nope. (Ashley: but for some reason I am really wondering how people come up with these names and Matt keeps asking me why i'm smiling at my computer)
74. Pineapple and Cottage Cheese:
Amy: No, but I might need to try it, like today!
Ashley: Yep! I didn't like them mixed but I sure do like them seperate.
|Now I'm craving pineapple salsa...great.|
75. Pistachio Ice Cream:
Amy: Shockingly enough, I'm not much of an ice cream eater.
Ashley: Yep I have and I was pretty concerned by the fact its like neon green.
76. Po’ Boy:
Amy: I am, however, a sandwich eater, so yes!
Ashley: Nope never had it.
Amy: No, but I often look at it curiously. :)
Ashley: I think I HAVE tried this but I may be thinking something else.
Amy: No, but definitely want to try it. Just don't know how to cook it.
Ashley: What ever happened to normal food? = )
79. Prickly Pear:
Amy: Another one from caviar day. Who knew 4th grade would come in so handy? :)
80. Rabbit Stew: No...but maybe if I ever visit District 12. :)
Ashley: Sweet Answer Amy!
81. Raw Oysters: Ew, no.
82. Root Beer Float: Yep, yum!
Amy: Remember those popsicles that used to get stuck to our tongues? Haha!
Ashley: Yes I remember and it hurt so bad when Mom had to get them off.
83. S’mores: Uh, yes. Add it to the list of things we'll feel bad for you for.
Amy: Yes. On a total rueben kick lately.
Ashley: Amy, I laughed that you just said Rueben... and I do NOT like Sauerkraut.
85. Sea Urchin: Nope.
86. Shark: No. We need expand our seafood horizons. :)
Ashley: I'm very content with my almost nonexistant seafood horizons.
Amy: My first thought is "I don't think so," but I'm pretty sure this is somethign I would remember.
88. Snake: No, thank you!
89. Soft Shell Crab: No; kind of creeps me out.
Ashley: All of these creatures don't belong on plates!
90. Som Tam: Nope. Actually never even had papaya (yep, I looked it up!).
91. Spaetzle: No, and that puts our German culture to shame.
92. Spam: No, and not sad about it.
93. Squirrel: No...but it wasn't far away with the multiple squirrels I have nearly run over this weekend, haha.
Ashley: Amy remember that Squirrels have families too!!
94. Steak Tartare: Eek! No!
95. Sweet Potato Fries: Uh, yes! Addicted!
96. Sweetbreads: No...who on Earth decided to name something so yucky after something that sounds so good?
97. Tom Yum: Nope.
98. Umeboshi: Another nope.
99. Venison: Our dad is a hunter, so yes. Yearly, in fact. Yum!
100. Wasabi Peas:
Amy: I don't do wasabi. Or peas. So no. :)
Ashley: No Wasabi but I don't mind peas.
101. Zucchini Flowers: Nope. Intrigued though.
Ashley: Just recently tried regular Zucchini.
Amy: 32. Not as bad as I thought!
Ashley: 19... out of 101? Oh goodness... but like Amy mentioned I'm picky and I think after some of the things I know I havent tried, i'm very content with my "normal" staples... plain Multigrain Cheerios here I come!!
Any interesting stories about some of these foods?
Did you have to look up as many as I did? :)