Sunday, April 1, 2012

Traveling and Working Out

My Spring Break is wrapping up, but it certainly seems like everyone is traveling right about now.  Earlier this week, I went on a nice little getaway with my mom to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. 

Althought vacations are for relaxation, I am the kind of person who feels a little off without a workout.  So, I thought this weekend would be a good time to post about getting a workout in while traveling, without sacrificing all those lovely vacation-y things like time with family and relaxation.

1. Get up and go!
I don't know about you, but I have a horrible time sleeping in most hotels.  I will toss and turn incessantly, until I finally feel like it's a reasonable time to get up.  My advice to myself next time is to just give in, get up, and go work out (at least at a semi-decent hour, of course).  This time is a good one, because your travel buddies may still be asleep.

2. Incorporate activity into your travel plans.
Most travel involves a lot of walking.  I let myself count it as a workout.

Especially in the big city...yeesh!

3. Use shower-time to your advantage.
I didn't want to have to leave my mom alone in the hotel to go to the gym, so I headed over there while she was taking a shower.  Instead of watching TV in the room, I got some time in on the stairclimber, which really helped boost my energy for the rest of the day.  Then, it was my turn in the shower.  Perfect plan!

4. Make sight-seeing a workout.
I've traveled to Lake Geneva several times, and I love to just be by the lake taking in how pretty everything is.  This time around, instead of squeezing in my 4 mile run when I got home, I did it around the river.  I got to experience all the pretty things I wanted in a different way then before, and my run ended up being one of my favorite parts of the trip!

I won't lie and say I'm a big traveler, so that's my best advice.  You guys are probably more expert than me, so...

How do you incorporate a workout into your travel plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment