Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Running the Numbers

Some people are "numbers" people.  I am not one of them.  I always liked math in school, and I like helping my students with them now, but they're just not my thing.

Or maybe they are.

On my long run this Saturday, I purposefully set my RunKeeper app so that it would alert me at each mile with my distance and time, NOT average pace.  When I hear my average pace, I find myself pushing too hard (at least for a long run) not to let it drop, or beating myself up that it needs to be faster than the one before it.

However, as I ran, I found myself doing the math anyway, and it got me wondering.  Are all runners number crunchers?

Then, I got to thinking some more (it was an 8 miler, after all) about numbers that are significant to me as a runner, and as a person.  So, I thought it would be fun to throw some numbers around today.

13.1: The farthest distance I've ever run in one "session."

26:44: My 5K PR (October 2011).

When your rock-star preggo friend tells you that you have to beat her, you listen!

6: Road races I've run so far.

102.5: Furthest distance I've run in a month (October 2011).

Even with a vacay thrown into the month!

2:54: Minutes I've taken off my 5K since my first.

1:59:59: My next half marathon goal.

And last, but certainly not least...

1: Number of my cheerleaders that I would love to race with one day :)

How about ya'll...
Do you think all runners are deep-down numbers people?
What is YOUR most significant running number?

No comments:

Post a Comment