Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Carbing It Up

My half marathon is quickly approaching, and my plan this weekend calls for 12 miles-- my longest run.

So, I also use this run as a test-race.  I carb-load and test all the foods and timing I'm planning for race day.

If you know me, you know I LOVE bread.  I could basically live off of the stuff.  However, I know that there is more to carb-loading than eating a bunch of bread, and I want to do it right.

Lucky me, I stumbled upon a Runner's World article from the November 2011 issue called "Fill 'Er Up" as I have been reorganizing my office.  I figured it would be good to take a look at it today as I plan for my weekend.

For starters, the article points out that "proper carbo-loading...won't make you faster, but it will allow you to run your best."  This is certainly the goal, so here is what the article suggests:

Foods to eat: tortillas, oatmeal, bread, pancakes, waffles, bagels, yogurt, juice, bananas, peaches (peeled), apples (peeled), pears (peeled), baked potatoes



Foods to avoid: cheese, butter, oil, cream

Begin carbo-loading two or three days before a race.

Eat about 4 grams of carbs per pound of body weight.  So, I'm shooting for about 520-540 grams.  I haven't been on a scale in awhile, so I think this is right.

So, here is my plan for Thursday and Friday:

Breakfast: Microwave Breakfast Cake with banana and PB (about 43g)
Morning snack: Apple and iced coffee (22 g)
Lunch: Tuna with cheese and rice, apple, and granola bar (74 g)
Afternoon Snack: PB Sandwich (34 g)
Dinner: Chicken Quesadilla with cereal and yogurt (64 g)
Dessert: Multigrain Cheerios (23 g)
Total: 260...uh oh..I need to re-evaluate this one!

Breakfast: Overnight Yogurt Oats (about 105g)
Morning snack: Apple and iced coffee (22 g)
Lunch: Turkey Sandwich with cereal, fruit, and yogurt (about 145 g)
Dinner: Retirement party (Pasta, please!)
Dessert: ?
Total: Not sure, but I think I'll be closer this time.

Looks like I need to go to the store for some Clif bars and Gatorade!

I also plan on ditching the calorie counts on this day, but not getting crazy and eating a ton.  I'll let you know next week how it went!  :)



Have you ever carbo-loaded?  Any tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment