Tuesday, January 31, 2012

5K on the Way

My cousin and I are running a 5K this weekend, and I'm really excited about it.  I'm surprised I'm not dreading it, however, because my good ol' shin splints have returned and I know I am not going to PR at this race (seeing as I'm only allowing myself to run a few miles this week to avoid some serious shin pain). 

And, *gasp*, I'm OK with that.

So, I thought today would be a good time to reflect on why 5K racing is awesome, regardless of the time.

1. I always run a 5k with a buddy (whether we run together or not), and running buddies are awesome.


2. They are short enough for my family to come and watch without getting terribly bored.

3. Races feel a little like a carnival, and there are always interesting people around.  Without the super-nerves of a half marathon, you can really enjoy the atmosphere, and the run, with all the cool people.

4. You have enough energy at the end to blast past some people...sorry!  :)

Can't really count this as blasting past...she let me beat her.
5. Even without a PR, it's fun to track your time, set goals, and compare with past races.

There is a chance of light snow on race day, which won't be good for my time, but I'm aiming for faster than 28:30, which would be my second fastest 5K.  We'll see if the shin splints and Mother Nature agree.  I have been pretty leary of setting a time goal for myself, as I don't want to be disappointed, but I still want to push myself.  I'm definitely a person who is afraid to fail.

Do you pressure yourself to meet goals?  Any races coming up?

No comments:

Post a Comment