Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Winter Running

It's winter.  It's cold.  It's snowy.  I. don't. like. it.

Rant complete.  All whining aside, running in winter is not easy.  I have gone out a few times since we started actually getting snow, and, to be honest, it hasn't been so bad!  Since the jury is still out on getting a gym membership, I'm going to devote this post to the perks of exercising outside during the winter.

If Patrick Sharp can do it, by golly, so can I!  :)

1. Probably the biggest perk: I find that I don't get as tired as easily because I'm not overheating.  I am the kind of runner that needs to get out early during the summer, because, if I'm too hot, I burn out (no pun intended) fast.

2. There are very few people outside, so, really, it's kind of peaceful.

3. You have an excuse for running a little slower.  :)  (I will likely be using this excuse in my upcoming SuperBowl Sunday 5K, as I do not plan to buy the "shoe chains" that they are suggesting.)

4. It's really beautiful.  No if's, and's, or but's about it (well...except for the dirty slush on the side of the road, but that's a small detail).

...and we thought THIS was cold!

Some things I'm still trying to figure out:

1. How to do speedwork outside.  Taking time off for my shin splints has slowed me down a little.  I know I'm not going to PR at my upcoming 5K, and that's OK with me, but I would like to come close.

2. A spin class that doesn't require a gym membership.  Still looking for that one.

3. Should I just bite the bullet, get the gym membership, and start running on the dreaded treadmill?

Your turn: Are you a treadmill runner?  Any tips for any of the things I'm still trying to figure out?

No comments:

Post a Comment