Tuesday, March 6, 2012

How I Became a Runner

In the past few weeks, it seems like I've been talking running with people a lot...which is awesome.  In many of my conversations, people have brought up how I started running, which really wasn't very long ago.  So, I thought it would be fun to look at what turned me into a runner.

Hands down, I have to attribute my becoming a runner to my lovely freshman roommate, Amanda.  She is an avid runner, and I have known it from the start.  She even founded a running club at our school and asked me to be the PR chair (since I was an English major).  I never...and I do mean never, not a single one...joined the group for runs, but I did save all the newsletters I put together!  :)  (Funny how, now, I would LOVE to have that running club so close at hand when I never took advantage of it back then!

Luck sure was on our side when the computer randomly matched us as roomies!
Although I was always reluctant to participate, I constantly admired runners from a distance.  Then, I graduated and started working.  My best work friend is a runner too...what a coincidence!... and we decided to start walking/jogging together.  As I saw a little success with that, I decided--I can do this!

That is when I looked up the Couch to 5K plan.  It worked wonders for me.  I followed it religiously, and the success I felt from it truly started the addiction.  It wasn't until a several weeks in that I finally told my old roomie about it.  :)

At this point, a lot of things changed for me.  I went through a nasty break-up, had to move back in with my parents, and was really struggling emotionally.  I felt like my whole world had been turned upside-down, and I jumped into running head-first.

Enter the college roomie yet again.  She really came through for me when I needed her the most, and we started running together on a weekly basis.  I looked forward to these runs so, so much, and, when she sent me the link to a 5K, I joined, and the work began!

Finally, it was time for the big race.  With the support of Amanda, Ashley, and Matt, I met my time goal and had an AMAZING experience.  I was officially hooked!

Definitely a great time...although I may not look like it, haha
Soon enough, I did a few more races, set my eyes on a 10k...and then decided...hey, why not try a half marathon?  I did some research, found a plan, and went for it.  That brings us to the blog era, so you can read about my half marathon adventures:  pre-race jitters, my first half recap, deciding to go for it again, and trying my own training plan.

So, now, here I am, officially a runner.  I love that my love for running has developed because of people I love and is starting to spread to people I love.  Looking ahead, I can't wait to...
  • Feel the excitement of hitting my sub 2:00 half marathon goal.
  • Run the Chicago Marathon (2013!!!)
  • Run a 5k with some loved ones who are going for it for the first time
How did YOU get into running?

No comments:

Post a Comment