Thursday, March 22, 2012

Making Sacrifices for a Race

I love sports, particularly seeing them live.  So, when a friend from work texted me to ask if I would be interested in going to a Milwaukee Brewers game in May, I was pumped! 

I want to say Go Cubs under this picture...but I say that every year, and you know how that goes.  So, I'm keeping my mouth shut!  :)

Until...I checked my calendar.

The game, which is quite a drive from where I live, is the night before my upcoming half marathon.  Uh oh.

Being the nervous racer that I am, I told her I'd have to think it over.  In talking to another friend from work the next day, she said to me "Amy...you can't let your races run your life."

Which got me thinking...when is it OK to make sacrifices for a race, and when is it not worth it?  So, here's my two cent's worth.

Worth it: Getting up a little earlier to squeeze your run in.  And sometimes necessary to juggle a training plan and time with family and friends!

Not: Going home from something early because you have to run in the morning.  Especially when friends are involved.

Could I really have skipped out on a fun night like this just to run in the morning?!?  No sir-ee!
Worth it: Rearranging your training schedule from impromptu plans.  Luckily I'm still good at this one.  I think it would make me angry at running, and that's no fun!

Not: Skipping out on plans because it might affect or make you miss your run.  Guilty.  But I will not give specifics, as I am kind of ashamed.  It's probably a sin.  Fill in the blanks.

Worth it: Leaving work a little earlier than usual to fit your run in before sunset.  This only applies, of course, if you're a teacher like me or have some other job in which you generally work 10 hours but only get paid for 8.

Not: Getting super paranoid in the week or two before a race. It probably just annoys your family and friends.  Sorry, fam!

Needless to say, I'm going to the game.  I won't lie and say that I'm not going to worry about what I eat or what time I get to bed, and I certainly won't be going out afterwards.  However, there are just some things that aren't worth giving up.  I just need to shift my mind set that going a baseball game the night before a race does not mean I won't meet my goal.

What sacrifices are worth it for you when it comes to races?  What sacrifices are not worth it?

It's Thursday, so we can't forget about Ashley's Photo Challenge!
Challenge:  A photo of one of my favorite traits about myself.


One of my favorite traits is one that I am trying to work harder on... that is my personality and learning to enjoy life instead of stressing about it!!  The best memories are made by doing out of the ordinary things!


For next week, I'd like to see a picture that relates to something that REALLY annoys you.

No comments:

Post a Comment